Friday, April 24, 2009

Induction

So the time had finally arrived. We were going to have a baby. I was so excited that I woke up around 6AM and could not go back to sleep. Maybe we should have gone for the 5AM induction. No I do not think Christopher would have liked that idea. As I laid in my bed I tried to think of what life was going to be like once we had our little baby. Everyone always says you'll understand when you have your own kids, and your kids will be just like you so be ready. I was not sure how ready I was going to be but as the clock crept closer to 7:00AM time to get up I got more and more excited. I decided to get up and get ready a little before that though. Bad idea considering now all I could do was sit around the house and wait for Christopher to get ready. (Which takes quite sometime I have come to learn) We arrived at the hospital on April 23rd 2009 our usual 5-10 minutes late but since we were the first ones on the list they said it was ok. We were taken into labor room #3 and once we got all settled in the nurse came in and told me all the things that were going to happen. It takes a lot to have a baby. They hooked me up to the monitors so they could listen to the babies heartbeat which at this point was around 135 bpm. They also told me about the IV, which I was already nervous of since I really do not like needles. I thought about how many times they had to draw my blood just to get pregnant and I figured that I would be ok. Which I was at first. It was not to bad a poke and then a sting, but then it was as if the they had turned up the thermostat to like 200 degrees. I got really hot and started to feel sick. Dr. Mark Curtis who was there with us got a rag of clod water and placed it on my throat which did not help at all since I have one of the worst gag reflexes in the world. Christopher came over and put it on my head which made me feel a lot better. I am surprised that he was ok staying in there since he is worse than me with needles. I think he has passed out a time or two due to needles.

The doctor checked me first thing and I was only about 1 centimeter dialated. They started the Oxytocin which is suppose to get labor going and they also started an antibiotic for my group B strep. That was odd since it made my hand cold when it went in through the IV. Everytime they changed the IV fluid, Oxytocin, or antibiotic it made my hand go cold and numb. For the next couple of hours it was just a waiting game. I started to feel the contractions and it was crazy. I knew that they would hurt but I wasnt expecting them to come so fast and so close together. I only had contractions for about an hour when the doctor came to check me again and said that I was 4 centimeters dialted and that I was ok to have the epidural. I was a little nervous about the epidural. Again with the needles why does it always have to be needles. The epidural was a little odd it was a feeling like when you hit your funny bone and it tingles for a while, but imagine that feeling all the way down your legs. For the next 12 hours we laid on the right side and then the left side and back to the right side. I guess the baby did not like it when I laid on my left side because the heartrate would go down everytime. They said that the epidural works with gravity so that would explin why my right side was more numb than my left. Around 7PM I started feeling contractions again. I guess they had turned off the Oxytocin due to the babies heartrate going down. I had contractions for another hour and they have to give me the max dose of medine that they could give me (before redoing the epidural which I was definatly aginst) before the contraction pain subsided.

It took until 11:15PM for me to reach 10 centimeters. (fully dialated) Dr Mark Curtis had already gone home for the night so the practicing doctor there was Dr. Anders. She is cool I had met her in the office a few times before. She came in and had me push a total of 2 times then she said that she was worried about the babies heartrate which was dropping with every push. She had me push one more time while she watched the monitor. I was getting nervous since I did not know what was going to happen. All I wanted was to have my baby on April 23rd, 2009. Why? Because I am odd and find things in numbers that others do not like the date of birth 04/23/09 would be 4+2+3=9. However it wasnt looking like the baby was going to come with in the last 30 minutes of that day. After what seemed like forever Dr. Anders looked at me and said that we would have to do a C-Section. I am not going to lie I started crying. She told me that if we kept pushing it was going to be like 2 hours before the baby came out and she didnt think that the babies heart would make it through that. I was so scared at this point. I had never had surgery before. I had never had stitches or anything like that. Plus I had heard some stories of people not being completly numb and feeling the surgery. I was really scared and I do not think that Christopher was to excited either.

No comments:

Post a Comment